Mercedes M270 gasoline engines with a volume of 1.6 and 2.0 liters were produced from 2011 to 2019 and installed on models with a transverse engine, such as the A-class and B-class. Similar units for cars with a longitudinal engine are index M274.
In 2011, a new series of 1.6 and 2.0 liter gasoline power units debuted, which differed in piston stroke, and the engines also had several boost options. The design is quite modern: a 4-cylinder aluminum block with cast-iron sleeves and an open cooling jacket, an aluminum 16-valve cylinder head with hydraulic lifters, a direct fuel injection system with piezo injectors, phase shifters on two camshafts, an IHI AL0070 or IHI AL0071 turbocharger with an air intercooler and a timing chain drive. Also noteworthy is the variable displacement oil pump and electronic thermostat.
1.6-litre engine modifications were optionally equipped with a Camtronic intake system, and 2.0-liter versions had a Lanchester counterbalance mechanism to reduce vibrations.
|Displacement, cc||1595 (M 270 DE 16 AL red)
1595 (M 270 DE 16 AL)
1991 (M 270 DE 20 AL)
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||102 – 122 (M 270 DE 16 AL red)
156 (M 270 DE 16 AL)
156 – 218 (M 270 DE 20 AL)
|Torque output, Nm||180 – 200 (M 270 DE 16 AL red)
250 (M 270 DE 16 AL)
270 – 350 (M 270 DE 20 AL)
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||73.7 (M 270 DE 16 AL red)
73.7 (M 270 DE 16 AL)
92 (M 270 DE 20 AL)
|Compression ratio||10.3 (M 270 DE 16 AL red)
10.3 (M 270 DE 16 AL)
9.8 (M 270 DE 20 AL)
|Phase regulator||on both shafts|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 5/6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Mercedes A 250 2015)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Mercedes A-Class W176 in 2012 – 2018;
- Mercedes B-Class W246 in 2011 – 2018;
- Mercedes CLA-Class C117 in 2013 – 2018;
- Mercedes GLA-Class X156 in 2013 – 2019;
- Infiniti Q30 1 (H15) in 2015 – 2019;
- Infiniti QX30 1 (H15) in 2016 – 2019.
Disadvantages of the Mercedes M270 engine
- In motors until 2014, phase regulators quickly failed and began to crack, then they were updated and the problem began to appear much later, but did not disappear at all. The timing chain does not have a high resource either, usually it is changed every 100-150 thousand km.
- In engines of this family, the impulse disk is pressed onto the camshaft and gradually shifts with each start. A stretched chain especially speeds up the process. It is for this reason that there is a problem with starting the engine up to a complete failure.
- In 2015, the power units of this series received a different firmware and became more economical, but calls for the replacement of destroyed pistons due to detonation immediately rained down. Even low-quality fuel greatly reduces the resource of direct injection piezo injectors.
- It is necessary to carefully monitor the condition of the cooling system of this unit, since the cylinder head here leads very quickly and even from a slightly prolonged overheating. This problem is exacerbated by the presence of not the most reliable thermostat and water pump.
- Leaks are regularly encountered due to the fault of a stuck crankcase ventilation valve, as well as from under the heat exchanger gasket or along the front crankshaft oil seal. Due to breaks in the wiring, the variable displacement oil pump valve hangs, fuel hoses also leak, the turbine actuator seizes, and the adsorber quickly clogs.