The concern has been producing gasoline engines Mercedes M274 with a volume of 1.6 and 2.0 liters since 2011 and installs them on cars with a longitudinal engine, such as C-class and E-class. Similar motors for models with a transverse arrangement of the unit have the M270 index.
R6 Mercedes engines: M102, M111, M166, M254, M260, M264, M266, M270, M271, M274, M282.
In November 2011, a new line of 1.6 and 2.0 liter petrol engines debuted. There is an aluminum block for 4 cylinders with cast-iron liners and an open cooling jacket, an aluminum 16-valve cylinder head with hydraulic compensators, intake and exhaust dephasers, an IHI AL0070 or IHI AL0071 turbine (depending on the engine version) with an air intercooler, direct injection system, oil pump variable capacity and timing chain drive. The 2.0-liter engines have a Lanchester balancer to reduce vibration.
Starting from 2018, the units of this series are gradually giving way to the engines of the M264 line and are now produced only as part of the hybrid power plant of the GLE or E-Class models.
|Production years||since 2011|
|Displacement, cc||1595 (M 274 DE 16 AL)
1991 (M 274 DE 20 AL)
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||129 – 156 (M 274 DE 16 AL)
156 – 245 (M 274 DE 20 AL)
279 – 333 together with electric motor
|Torque output, Nm||210 – 250 (M 274 DE 16 AL)
270 – 370 (M 274 DE 20 AL)
600 – 700 together with electric motor
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||73.7 (M 274 DE 16 AL)
92 (M 274 DE 20 AL)
|Compression ratio||10.3 (M 274 DE 16 AL)
9.8 (M 274 DE 20 AL)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.0 – 7.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 5/6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Mercedes C 250 2017)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Mercedes C-Class W204 in 2012 – 2015; C-Class W205 in 2014 – 2020;
- Mercedes E-Class W212 in 2013 – 2016; E-Class W213 since 2016;
- Mercedes GLC-Class X253 since 2015;
- Mercedes GLE-Class W167 since 2019;
- Mercedes GLK-Class X204 in 2013 – 2015;
- Mercedes SLC-Class R172in 2015 – 2020;
- Mercedes V-Class W447 in 2015 – 2019;
- Infiniti Q50 1 (V37) in 2014 – 2019;
- Infiniti Q60 2 (CV37) in 2016 – 2018.
Disadvantages of the Mercedes M274 engine
- In engines until 2014, phase regulators began to crack rather quickly, then the manufacturer finalized the design and the resource increased to 150 – 200 thousand km. At about the same run, the timing chain is pulled out and many change them at the same time.
- Many owners of cars with an engine of this family complain about starting problems and the main reason is the displacement of the impulse disk relative to the camshaft axis. Usually this is signaled by an error on the camshaft position sensor.
- In 2015, the engines of this series were upgraded and became a little more economical, but this led to more frequent detonation with the destruction of the pistons. Piezo direct injection injectors also suffer from low-quality fuel here.
- It is necessary to carefully monitor the condition of the cooling system of the power unit, since the head of the block can lead here even from not very long overheating. The problem is exacerbated by the rather poor reliability of the thermostat and water pump.
- Leaks regularly occur from under the valve cover due to a stuck crankcase ventilation valve, as well as from under the front crankshaft oil seal or through the heat exchanger gasket. Due to breaks in the wiring, the variable displacement oil pump valve freezes, the adsorber quickly clogs, fuel hoses often leak and the actuator at the turbine wedges.