The 2.0-liter 16-valve Volvo B4204S3 engine was produced by the concern from 2006 to 2012 and was installed on models on the Focus 2 platform, that is, the C30, S40 and V50, as well as the S80 sedan. Such a motor and its FlexiFuel version B4204S4 were essentially clones of the AODA power unit.
The engine was installed on:
- Volvo C30 I (533) in 2006 – 2012;
- Volvo S40 II (544) in 2006 – 2012;
- Volvo S80 II (124) in 2006 – 2010;
- Volvo V50 I (545) in 2006 – 2012;
- Volvo V70 III (135) in 2007 – 2010.
|Power output, hp||145|
|Torque output, Nm||185 – 190|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||87.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||83.1|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Volvo C30 2008)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
Disadvantages of the B4204S3 engine
- The most famous problem of this motor is the oil burner due to the occurrence of rings;
- In second place in terms of mass are always jamming swirl flaps in the intake;
- Also, idle speeds often float here and the electric throttle is usually to blame;
- The fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator fails from low-quality fuel;
- After 200 thousand kilometers, the timing chain and phase regulator often require replacement.