The 1.6-liter Volkswagen DCXA 1.6 TDI diesel engine has been assembled by the company since 2014 and is installed on such popular models as the Passat B8 and the third generation Skoda Superb. This powertrain is mainly offered in Europe and is rare in other markets.
The EA288 series also includes: DCXA, CRLB, CRMB, DETA, DBGC, DFGA, DFBA.
|Production years||since 2014|
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||120|
|Torque output, Nm||250|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||79.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||80.5|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Volkswagen Passat 2015)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
|Weight, kg||150 (with attachments)|
The engine was installed on:
- Skoda Superb 3 (3V) in 2015 – 2018;
- Volkswagen Passat B8 (3G) in 2014 – 2019.
Disadvantages of the VW DCXA engine
- Owners on specialized forums praise this power unit, complain only about lubricant leaks;
- The timing belt is designed for 210 thousand km, but change more often, if it breaks, the valves bend;
- Sometimes the heat exchanger gasket dries up and antifreeze starts to ooze out;
- At high mileage, a particulate filter and an EGR valve cause a lot of trouble.