The 1.6-liter turbo diesel engine Volkswagen JX 1.6 TD was assembled from 1984 to 1992 and installed on various modifications of the very popular Transporter T3 minibus. This diesel was known for low power, noisy operation, frequent cracking of the cylinder head.
|Power output, hp||70|
|Torque output, Nm||138|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||76.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||86.4|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 0|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for VW Transporter T3 1985)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Volkswagen Transporter T3 (25) in 1984 – 1992.
Disadvantages of the VW JX engine
- Most of all, these diesel engines are afraid of overheating, the aluminum cylinder head often cracks;
- In second place in popularity are high pressure fuel pump leaks;
- The timing belt changes every 60,000 km, if it breaks, you usually have to change the cylinder head;
- Closer to 150 – 200 thousand kilometers, the engine turbine often starts to drive oil;
- On runs over 200,000 km, an oil burner is often found, as well as lubricant leaks.