The 1.7-liter diesel engine Opel X17DTL or 2H8 was produced from 1994 to 2000 and was installed on the first two generations of the very popular Astra model. This motor is the concern’s own development and is part of the GM Family II engine line.
The engine was installed on:
- Opel Astra F (T92) in 1994 – 1998;
- Opel Astra G (T98) in 1998 – 2000.
|Fuel system||vortex chamber|
|Power output, hp||68|
|Torque output, Nm||132|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||82.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||79.5|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 2|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Opel Astra 1995)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the X17DTL engine
- The unit is famous for its unpretentiousness to the quality of diesel fuel and good repairability;
- Most complaints about starting problems due to fuel pump malfunctions;
- The turbine starts to drive oil rather quickly, and its repair is relatively expensive;
- The timing belt has a modest resource, and its breakage or jump is dangerous for the motor;
- The reason for oil consumption is usually a leak in the crankshaft oil seal or crankcase ventilation.