The 2.2-liter diesel engine Land Rover 224DT or 2.2 TD4 was assembled from 2006 to 2016 and was installed on such popular models as Freelander, Evoque and Jaguar XF under the AJI4D index. Such a unit was installed on Ford cars as Q4BA and on Peugeot, Citroen, Mitsubishi as DW12M.
Joint development engines with Ford: 224DT, 276DT, 306DT, 368DT, 448DT.
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||150 – 200|
|Torque output, Nm||400 – 450|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||85|
|Piston stroke, mm||96|
|Compression ratio||15.8 – 16.5|
|Timing drive||chain & belt|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.9|
|Euro standards||EURO 4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Land Rover Freelander 2.2 TD4 2011)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Land Rover Discovery Sport 1 (L550) in 2014 – 2016;
- Land Rover Range Rover Evoque 1 (L538) in 2011 – 2016;
- Land Rover Freelander 2 (L359) in 2006 – 2014.
Disadvantages of the Land Rover 224DT engine
- On the engines of the first years of production, the camshaft was destroyed on the drive side of the high-pressure fuel pump;
- Often the PCV valve fails and the crankcase ventilation begins to drive oil;
- With the wrong selection of lubricant, it can turn the liners at low mileage;
- Also, these engines are famous for regular oil leaks along the sump seals;
- The remaining problems are related to fuel equipment, particulate filter and EGR.