The 1.6-liter Ford SHDA, SHDB or Focus 2 1.6 Duratec engine was assembled from 2007 to 2011 and was installed on the second generation Focus, C-Max and Volvo under the B4164S3 index. This motor was essentially a modification of the HWDA engine, but with an open cooling jacket.
The engine was installed on:
- Ford C-Max Mk1 in 2007 – 2010;
- Ford Focus Mk2 in 2008 – 2011.
|Power output, hp||100|
|Torque output, Nm||150|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||79|
|Piston stroke, mm||81.4|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.1|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Ford Focus 2009)
|Engine lifespan, km||~330 000|
Disadvantages of the SHDA/SHDB engine
- Duratec series engines are reliable but require good fuel;
- Spark plugs deteriorate from bad gasoline, sometimes they last less than 10,000 km;
- For the same reason, an expensive fuel pump can quickly fail here;
- In the European version of Duratec engines, when the timing belt breaks, the valve always bends;
- Hydraulic compensators are not provided and the valves need to be adjusted periodically.