The 1.6-liter Chevrolet F16D3 or LXT engine was assembled in South Korea from 2004 to 2013 and installed on a number of mass models of the concern, such as Aveo, Lacetti and Cruze. This power unit was essentially an upgraded version of the Daewoo A16DMS engine.
By design, this is a classic engine for that time with distributed fuel injection, a cast-iron block for 4 cylinders, an aluminum 16-valve head with hydraulic compensators, a timing belt and a plastic intake manifold with a VGIS geometry change system.
The F series also includes engines: F14D3, F14D4, F15S3, F16D4, F18D3 and F18D4.
|Cylinder block alloy||cast iron|
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||81.5|
|Cylinder bore, mm||79|
|Power output, hp||109/5800|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||150/4000|
|Euro standards||Euro 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Chevrolet Lacetti 2006)
|Oil consumption, L/1000 km||0.6|
|Recommended engine oil||10W-30 / 5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.75|
|Amount of engine oil for replacement, liter||about 3|
|Oil change interval, km||15000|
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Chevrolet Aveo T250 in 2008 – 2011;
- Chevrolet Cruze 1 (J300) in 2008 – 2010;
- Chevrolet Lacetti J200 in 2004 – 2013;
- Chevrolet Lanos T150 in 2005 – 2013.
Disadvantages of the F16D3 engine
- In the engines of this series, the manufacturer incorrectly selected the gaps in the sleeve-valve pair and therefore their plates quickly overgrow with deposits and cannot close completely. Over time, the soot gets to the valve stem and they simply begin to hang.
- According to the official regulations, the timing belt is replaced every 60 thousand kilometers, however, the forums describe many cases when it breaks even at 30,000 km, and this, in turn, is a guaranteed valve bend and a very expensive repair.
- A lot of trouble for owners of cars with engines of this series is caused by the rapid contamination of the intake manifold, which often leads to a breakdown in the system for changing its geometry. If there is no desire to clean the manifold every 10,000 km, then you can turn off the EGR valve.
- Due to a clogged crankcase ventilation system, leaks often occur and lubricant enters the candle wells, high-voltage wires serve quite little and lambda probes regularly burn out. Also, the weak points include the thermostat and the oil pump, which is always sweating over the gasket.