The F14D4 engine was put into production in 2008. In fact, it was a modernized version of the F14D3 engine, which did not save him from having technical problems. Typical for the predecessor problems in the new engine were successfully eliminated.
The F14D4 added a system for changing the valve timing on both shafts, individual ignition coils, an electronic throttle valve, the service life of the timing belt and rollers has increased, from now on the replacement is carried out every 160 thousand km, the EGR system disappeared, from which there were more minuses than pluses, power increased to 101 hp, which is very good for 1.4.
There are no hydraulic lifters on the F14D4, now you need to adjust the valve clearances by selecting calibrated cups. This procedure is carried out after a run of 100,000 km. Thermostat problems are especially loved by GM, here he also will not let you get bored and ask for replacements within 60-90,000 km.
The engine was installed on:
- Chevrolet Aveo T250 in 2008 – 2011;
- Chevrolet Aveo T300 in 2011 – 2020;
- Chevrolet Lanos T150 in 2009 – 2013.
|Start of production
|Cylinder block alloy
|Number of cylinders
|Valves per cylinder
|Piston stroke, mm
|Cylinder bore, mm
|Power output, hp
|Torque output, Nm / rpm
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Chevrolet Aveo T250 2009)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km
|up to 0,6 L/1000
|Recommended engine oil
|10W-30 / 5W-30
|Engine oil capacity, liter
|Amount of engine oil for replacement, liter
|Oil change interval, km
|Engine lifespan, km
Disadvantages of the F14D4 engine
- In the first years of production, phase regulators were installed that served no more than 30,000 km, then their resource increased, but cases of replacement on a run of up to 100,000 km are still not uncommon. Also, from poor-quality lubrication, the grids of solenoid valves quickly become clogged.
- This unit is equipped with a rather capricious electric throttle assembly. Usually, dirt on the damper connectors or the engine ECU is to blame for its failures, but sometimes the cause is bending of the contacts and chafing of the potentiometer track.
- According to the official regulations, the timing belt is replaced only once every 160 thousand km, but it does not always serve that long. And with a broken belt, most often the valve bends. With an unqualified replacement, the camshaft impulse ring is often broken off.
- Another weak point of this power unit is the expansion tank cap, the ignition coil module, the electronic thermostat, or the ever-flowing heat exchanger. And do not forget about adjusting the valve clearances, since there are no hydraulic lifters here.