M54B22 is the junior engine of the M54 series (which also includes M54B25, M54B30 and S54B32), is an evolution of the M52TUB20, in which the crankshaft was replaced with a new, cast iron crankshaft with a stroke of 72 mm (it used to be 66 mm), lightweight pistons were installed, 145 mm modified forged connecting rods, the cylinder block was old, aluminum with cast iron liners, from M52TU.
The cylinder head is similar to the M52TU with Double VANOS, the DISA intake manifold has changed, now it is somewhat shorter with large channels, the control system has been replaced with Siemens MS43 and Siemens MS45 (Siemens MS45.1 for US), an electronic throttle with a diameter of 62 mm has been used.
This motor was used on BMW cars with an index of 20i.
|Production years||2001-2006 Munich Plant|
|Power output, hp||170|
|Torque output, Nm||210|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||80|
|Piston stroke, mm||72|
|Phase regulator||double VANOS|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the M54B22 engine
- This engine is very afraid of overheating, monitor the condition of the cooling system;
- Too thin piston rings lie very quickly and the oil burn begins;
- Another source of lubrication loss here is the crankcase ventilation valve;
- In the intake manifold, DISA dampers are often wedge, and it can crack itself;
- Low-quality oil disables hydraulic lifters and Vanos phase regulator;
- In electrical terms, the camshaft and crankshaft position sensors most often fail here;
- Valve cover leaks also occur with oil seeping into spark plug wells.