The M52B28 engine appeared in 1995 and is the senior representative of the M52 family (which also includes the M52B20, M52B24, M52B25, S52B32). The engine block on European versions is nickel-plated aluminum, for North America the block is cast iron.
The engine geometry is square – 84×84 mm, the cylinder diameter is the same as on the M52B25, the crankshaft has an increased stroke, the piston compression height is 31.82 mm, the cylinder head is from the M50B25TU. Injectors M52B28 – 250 cc.
Since 1998, a modified version has been released called M52TUB28, with cast iron sleeves, instead of vanos, a double vanos system has been used. And also with 244/228 camshafts, 9 mm lift, with new pistons and connecting rods, with a modified DISA variable geometry intake manifold, cooling system and electronic throttle.
This power unit was used on BMW cars with the 28i index.
|Production years||1995-2001 Munich Plant|
|Power output, hp||193|
|Torque output, Nm||280|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||84|
|Piston stroke, mm||84|
|Phase regulator||single VANOS (M52B28)
double VANOS (M52B28TU)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 2 (M52B28)
EURO 3 (M52B28TU)
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for E36 328i)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
Disadvantages of the M52B28 engine
- Temperature rise. The M52 series is characterized by overheating and, as a result, the development of cylinder head obstruction. It is necessary to clean the radiator, degass the cooling system, and check the radiator cap, thermostat and pump.
- Excessive oil consumption. Piston rings often wear out. If the wear of the cylinder walls is determined, a liner will be required, if not, replacement of the rings. You also need to look at the crankcase ventilation valve.
- Ignition system skips. Due to the coking of the hydraulic lifters, the functionality of the cylinder is reduced, followed by its shutdown through the ECU. The hydraulic lifters need to be replaced.
- The oil pressure light came on. Take a look at the oil glass or oil pump.
- M52 Vanos. With its wear, there is a rumble of the motor, a drop in thrust, a change in speed with a complete stop. You will need a repair kit for Vanos M52.
Problems can be added – failure of knee and camshaft sensors, thermostat depressurization, poor cylinder head fastening, sensitivity to the quality of gasoline, reduced resource than the previous model.