The senior representative of the M52 series of motors is the BMW M52V28 engine, which has been installed since 1995 on the BMW model in the E36, E38, E39, E46 and Z3 bodies with the 28i index. The cylinder block of the engine supplied to the European market is made of aluminum, the cylinders are nikasil coated. They have the same diameter as the M52B25 engine, a crankshaft with an increased stroke, the cylinder head of this engine is from M50B25TU, and the injectors have a capacity of 250 cc. In 1998, a modification of the engine appeared, which received the M52B28TU index, having cast iron liners and double vanos, other camshafts, a DISA intake manifold and an electronic throttle. In 2000, the M52B28 engine began to be replaced by the M52B28 engine, and its production was completely stopped a year later.
|Cylinder block alloy||aluminum|
|Number of cylinders||6|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||84|
|Cylinder bore, mm||84|
|Power output, hp||193/5300
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||280/3950
|Euro standards||Euro 2-3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for E36 328i)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 1000|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30 / 0W-40 / 5W-30 / 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5|
|Oil change interval, km||7000-10000|
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C||~95|
|Engine lifespan, km
— official information
- Temperature rise. The M52 series is characterized by overheating and, as a result, the development of cylinder head obstruction. It is necessary to clean the radiator, degass the cooling system, and check the radiator cap, thermostat and pump.
- Excessive oil consumption. Piston rings often wear out. If the wear of the cylinder walls is determined, a liner will be required, if not, replacement of the rings. You also need to look at the KVKG valve.
- Ignition system skips. Due to the coking of the hydraulic lifters, the functionality of the cylinder is reduced, followed by its shutdown through the ECU. The hydraulic lifters need to be replaced.
- The oil pressure light came on. Take a look at the oil glass or oil pump.
- M52 Vanos. With its wear, there is a rumble of the motor, a drop in thrust, a change in speed with a complete stop. You will need a repair kit for Vanos M52.
Problems can be added – failure of knee and camshaft sensors, thermostat depressurization, poor cylinder head fastening, sensitivity to the quality of gasoline, reduced resource than the previous model. Therefore, a better alternative for tuning and swap would be the M50B25 Non Vanos, as well as the M54B30.