The Saab B308E 3.0-liter V6 petrol engine was produced only from 1998 to 2003 and was installed on the first generation of the popular 9-5 model and only in combination with automatic transmission. This engine was essentially a supercharged version of the famous Opel X30XE power unit.
V6 GM-engine: B258i, B284L, B308E, B308i.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||200|
|Torque output, Nm||310|
|Cylinder block||cast iron V6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86|
|Piston stroke, mm||85|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 2|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Saab 9-5 1997)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Saab 9-5 I (YS3E) in 1998 – 2003.
Disadvantages of the Saab B308E engine
- This is a very reliable engine and its main problems are associated with lubrication leaks.
- Especially often, oil crawls out from under the valve covers and fills the candle wells.
- Also, grease can seep into the coolant through the heat exchanger.
- The turbine is not the highest resource, sometimes it runs less than 100,000 km.
- Monitor the condition of the timing belt, its resource is small, and when it breaks, the valves bend.