The 2.3-liter Renault M9T or 2.3 dCi diesel engine has been produced by the concern since 2010 and is installed on the popular minibuses Renault Master 3, Opel Movano B, Nissan NV400. There is a modification of this diesel engine for pickups based on Nissan Navara under the symbol YS23.
M-series diesels also include: M9R.
In 2010, a new 2.3-liter diesel engine appeared on the third generation of the Master minibus, based on the popular 2.0-liter heavy-fuel unit under the M9R index. By design, there is a cast-iron 4-cylinder block, a 16-valve cylinder head with hydraulic lifters, a timing chain drive, a Bosch Common Rail fuel system and a turbocharger, of course. Such a unit is equipped with a 6-speed manual transmission PA0 and PF6 or a Quickshift ZA4 and ZF4 robot.
This diesel engine has almost a dozen different modifications, but they can be divided into several groups. First, by the type of turbocharger: conventional, variable geometry and Twin-Turbo versions. Secondly, by generation: the first in 2010, the second in 2014 and the third, which came out in 2019.
The engine was installed on:
- Renault Master 3 (X62) since 2010;
- Nissan NV400 1 (X62) since 2010;
- Opel Movano B (X62) since 2010.
|Production years||since 2010|
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||100 – 150 (Single Turbo)
135 – 180 (Twin Turbo)
|Torque output, Nm||285 – 350 (Single Turbo)
340 – 400 (Twin Turbo)
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||85|
|Piston stroke, mm||101.3|
|Compression ratio||15.1 – 16.0|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||8.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 4/5/6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Renault Master 2012)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
Disadvantages of the Renault M9T engine
- Due to the design features, water often gets on the cylinder head and the nozzles in it turn sour. When dismantling the injectors, rust usually pours directly into the engine block, where it works like a mold. From this, teases are often formed and an oil burner appears.
- One of the most famous problems of this motor is the modest resource of the timing chain, sometimes it stretches and needs to be replaced already at a run of 100 – 150 thousand kilometers.
- This is a modern diesel engine and it has an EGR valve that likes to coke, and in most versions there is a particulate filter, whose resource is also limited.
- Also in this unit, the intercooler pipe often flies and air leaks appear.