The 1.4-liter Peugeot EP3C or 8FP or 8FR engine was assembled in Duvrin from 2009 to 2015 and installed on a number of popular compact models of the French concern, such as 208 and 308. In a number of markets, a gas version of this power unit was offered under its own index 8FN.
In 2009, an updated modification of the EP3 engine appeared on the Citroen C3 Picasso model. The design of this unit was similar to its predecessor: an aluminum cylinder block, an aluminum 16-valve cylinder head equipped with hydraulic compensators and a timing chain drive, a Valvetronic throttleless control system, Vanos phase shifter on the intake and exhaust.
But there were differences: firstly, a new oil pump with both pressure and flow control, a modernized vacuum pump, and another water pump with an electromagnetic clutch. The crankshaft liners received special grooves to reduce friction and the need for lubrication, the oil pressure sensor moved from the cylinder head to the oil filter bracket, plus a modern catalyst appeared, which made it possible to enter the engine into Euro 5 environmental standards.
|Power output, hp||95 (8FP or VTI 95)
98 (8FR or VTI 98)
|Torque output, Nm||136|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||77|
|Piston stroke, mm||75|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Peugeot 208 2012)
|Engine lifespan, km||~200 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Citroen C3 II (A51) in 2009 – 2013;
- Citroen C3 Picasso II in 2009 – 2015;
- Citroen C4 II (B71) in 2011 – 2015;
- Citroen DS3 I (A55) in 2010 – 2013;
- Peugeot 207 I (A7) in 2009 – 2013;
- Peugeot 208 I (A9) in 2012 – 2015;
- Peugeot 308 I (T7) in 2010 – 2013.
Disadvantages of the Peugeot EP3C engine
- The timing resource in the updated engine has slightly increased and the chain is no longer stretched for 50,000 km, but all the same, it will most likely require attention to runs of about 100 – 120 thousand km. It’s good that there are a large number of inexpensive replacement kits on sale.
- As a result of modernization, the motor received a new oil pump with pressure control, which very often wedges. If this happens in low performance mode, then your engine will quickly pick up the crankshaft liners and most likely the camshafts.
- A lot of problems for owners are caused by regular malfunctions in the Valvetronic system. Vanos phase regulator valves received special filters, but their resource did not increase.
- A little less often than before, but still often there is an oil burner due to the occurrence of rings, the destruction and loss of valve seats, as well as regular leaks of lubricant and antifreeze. And such nodes as a pump, thermostat or lambda probe are simply considered consumables.