The 1.2-liter Chevrolet B12S1 or LY4 engine was produced in South Korea from 2002 to 2011 and was installed on many popular budget models of the concern, such as Aveo and Kalos. This power unit in a number of sources appears under a completely different index F12S3.
In 2002, a 1.2-liter engine was added to the Daewoo S-TEC engine series of gasoline units. It was the most common engine for its time with distributed fuel injection, a cast-iron cylinder block, an aluminum 8-valve head and a timing belt drive. To meet Euro 3 eco-standards, the manufacturer equipped this unit with an EGR valve. Hydraulic compensators are not provided here and every 30 thousand km the valve must be adjusted.
The engine was installed on:
- Chevrolet Aveo T200 in 2004 – 2008;
- Chevrolet Aveo T250 in 2008 – 2011;
- Daewoo Kalos T200 in 2002 – 2006.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||72|
|Torque output, Nm||104|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||68.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||78|
|Timing drive||chain belt|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.2|
|Euro standards||EURO 3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Chevrolet Aveo T200 2006)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the B12S1 engine
- The most famous problem of this unit is the too narrow oil channel jet that supplies lubricant to the block head. It quickly becomes clogged with deposits and the camshaft and rocker wear out from a lack of oil. You just need to drill it out.
- Another weak point here is the crankcase ventilation valve. From wear, it can jam in the closed position, which will immediately lead to oil leaks, or it can in the open position, which will lead to air leakage and floating speed.
- Owners of cars with such an engine often complain about failures of attachments: the starter fails, the thermostat sticks, the pump flows and the generator bearings buzz.
- Even here, the ignition coil and its high-voltage wires serve for a relatively short time, the throttle servo teeth crumble and the fuel injectors clog.