The 1.2-liter Chevrolet B12D1 or LMU engine was produced by the company from 2007 to 2015 and was installed on the group’s most popular budget models, such as Aveo and Spark. A gas modification of the engine was proposed, as well as an LMH version with a reduced compression ratio.
In 2007, the second generation of power units of the Daewoo S-TEC engine series debuted and one of its representatives was an engine with the B12D1 or LMU index according to GM classification. This is a 4-cylinder engine quite typical for its time with a cast-iron cylinder block, an aluminum 16-valve cylinder head not equipped with hydraulic lifters, a timing chain drive, distributed fuel injection, an intake manifold with a geometry change system.
For the USA market, a more powerful version of such an engine with the LL0 index was produced, which was distinguished by a slightly larger displacement and the presence of phase regulators of the DCVCP type.
The B series includes engines: B10S1, B10D1, B12S1, B12D1, B12D2, B15D2.
The engine was installed on:
- Chevrolet Aveo T250 in 2007 – 2011;
- Chevrolet Spark M300 in 2009 – 2015.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||84|
|Torque output, Nm||114|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||69.7|
|Piston stroke, mm||79|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.75|
|Euro standards||EURO 4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Chevrolet Aveo T250 2010)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the B12D1 engine
- This is a reliable engine and the most serious problem here is the jump of the timing chain due to its stretching or wear of the hydraulic tensioner. And the valve is most often bending. The official life of the chain is 250,000 km, but it usually lasts half as long.
- Hydraulic compensators are not provided in this motor and the valve clearance is adjusted by selecting pushers, for which it is necessary to remove the camshafts. And it’s not cheap. Owners often delay this procedure, waiting until their valves burn out.
- Inexpensive models from Chevrolet have not the highest quality attachments and starter failures, humming generator bearings and pump leaks are common.
- On specialized forums, they often complain about lubricant leaks and malfunctions in the ignition system. You also need to monitor the radiators, they often leak and overheating is not uncommon here.