Together with the large-capacity N62B48 engine, the younger brother N62B40 also came out. The basis for the creation of this motor was the N62B48, in the cylinder block of which a crankshaft with a piston stroke reduced to 84.1 mm was installed, the cylinder diameter was reduced from 93 mm to 87 mm.
The cylinder head, in comparison with the N62B36, received modified combustion chambers and exhaust valves for a new exhaust manifold. The material for the manufacture of the cylinder head is now silumin. Exhaust manifold with increased pipe section. The N62B40 uses a new DISA two-stage variable length intake manifold. Bosch DME ME 9.2.2 engine management system.
|Power output, hp||306 /6300 rpm|
|Torque output, Nm||390 /3500 rpm|
|Cylinder block||aluminum V8|
|Block head||aluminum 32v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||87|
|Piston stroke, mm||84.1|
|Phase regulator||double VANOS|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||8.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for BMW 740i E65)
|Engine lifespan, km||~310 000|
Disadvantages of the N62B40 engine
- The main problems of the motor are associated with malfunctions of the Valvetronic and VANOS systems;
- In second place is the growing oil consumption due to wear of valve stem seals;
- Floating RPM is usually caused by ignition coils or flowmeters;
- Very often the sealing gasket of the generator housing and the crankshaft oil seal are leaking;
- On a long run, crumbs from a collapsing catalyst are sucked into the cylinders.