The 2.5-liter BMW M57D25 engine was created on the basis of the 3-liter M57D30 by bringing its geometry to the parameters of the M51. Cast iron cylinder block. Unlike the M51, the M57D25 uses a twin-shaft cylinder head with 4 valves per cylinder. The timing chain rotates the camshafts, the reliability of the chain is high and with normal maintenance, it may never give you problems at all.
BMW M57D25 engine modifications:
- M57D25O0 (2000 – 2003) – the basic version of the M57D25 with a Garrett GT2052V turbine. Engine power 163 hp at 4000 rpm, torque 350 Nm at 2000-2500 rpm. The engine was on the E39 525d, and the 150 hp version was for the Opel Omega B and was called the Y25DT there.
- M57D25O1 (2004 – 2007) – an updated motor of the M57TU series. Power has increased to 177 hp at 4000 rpm, torque is 400 Nm at 2000-2750 rpm. It uses a Garrett GT2056V turbocharger. This engine is found in the BMW E60 525d.
The M57 family also includes: M57D30.
The engine was installed on:
- BMW E39 525d in 2000 – 2004;
- BMW E60 525d in 2003 – 2007.
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||163 (M57D25O0)
|Torque output, Nm||350 (M57D25O0)
|Cylinder block||cast iron R6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||80|
|Piston stroke, mm||82.8|
|Compression ratio||17.5 (M57D25O0)
|Turbocharging||Garrett GT2052V (M57D25O0)
Garrett GT2056V (M57D25O1)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5 (M57D25O0)
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for BMW 525d E39)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
Disadvantages of the M57D25 engine
- You need to know what the temperature of the engine should be and constantly monitor this indicator, otherwise there is a high probability of overheating, which is fraught with a broken cylinder head.
- Also, as on versions of the M47 line of motors, these power units have a problem with swirl flaps. While driving, they can fall off and get into the interior of the engine, especially often this occurs when the starter turns for a long time. This may lead to the need for a major overhaul of the motor. To avoid such troubles, it is best to remove the shutters, and then configure the software to work normally without these devices.
- During the movement, extraneous noises and sounds may appear. This is also a fairly common problem that can result from a failed crankshaft damper. It is necessary to check its condition and replace, if necessary.
- Often there is such a thing that the cabin smells of diesel and the engine power begins to disappear. This issue is due to a cracked exhaust manifold. We’ll have to replace it with a new one, it is better to use the cast-iron version.
- Nozzles do not cause problems until overcoming the mark of 100 thousand kilometers. Turbines also last quite a long time, and provided that high-quality oil is used, they can travel more than 300-400 thousand kilometers. The use of poor quality grease can lead to a decrease in service life.
In general, this motor does not cause quite a lot of negative feedback from the owners, since it lasts quite a long time, in the case of timely and high-quality service. Using high-quality fuel and suitable engine oil, it will be possible to overcome about 500 thousand kilometers without the need for major repairs to the power unit.