The Volvo D16A 520 engines use advanced technologies (new design of turbocharger, heat exchanger), which allow the units to consume less engine oil, fuel and reduce the time and money spent on maintenance. Highly precise control of combustion process, air flow and injection algorithm provides higher fuel efficiency.
The D16A520 6-cylinder in-line diesel engine with direct injection and water cooling began production in August 1993. These units were installed on commercial heavy transport vehicles. Engine power with a volume of 16122 cc. is 520 hp, which is 50 hp. larger than its predecessor. The D16A520 has a reliable and durable cylinder block, overhead camshaft and injection system. There are four valves per cylinder for a total of 24 valves.
|Number of cylinders||6|
|Piston stroke, mm||165|
|Cylinder bore, mm||144|
|Power output, hp||520|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||2400|
|Euro standards||Euro 2|
Compared to its predecessor, the D16A 520 has the following innovations:
- optimized cylinder block with optimal load distribution without unnecessary weighting;
- replaceable wet cylinder liners;
- piston cooling system;
- tapered connecting rods to reduce the risk of piston damage;
- induction hardening of the journal of the main and connecting rod bearings of the crankshaft;
- Nitriding the cogwheel surfaces of the camshaft gears for long service life;
- compression piston rings to reduce engine oil loss;
- crankshaft vibration damper, viscous type;
- replaceable valve seats and guides;
- top camshaft.
- efficient cooling with intelligent control of the coolant flow;
- thermostat with minimum water resistance.
- highly efficient and reliable turbocharger;
- additional oil filter for the turbocharger lube line.
Explanation of marking D16A520
|D||Motor fuel – diesel|
|16||Cylinder volume, l.|
|520||Engine power – 520 HP|