The 2.5-liter Volkswagen AAF or T4 2.5 gasoline engine was produced from 1990 to 1993 and was installed on the fourth generation of Transporter, Caravelle and Multivan minibuses. Updated versions of this power unit are known under their ACU, AEN and AEU indices.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||110|
|Torque output, Nm||190|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R5|
|Block head||aluminum 10v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||95.5|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 1|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for VW Transporter 1992)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Volkswagen Transporter T4 (7D) in 1990 – 1994.
Disadvantages of the VW AAF engine
- This is a reliable but gluttonous engine and many owners convert it to gas.
- A lot of engine problems are associated with improper setting of gas equipment.
- Also, the cause of unstable operation may be malfunctions of the Digifant system.
- Start looking for the culprit by checking the MAP sensor and then all the rubber hoses.
- Still sometimes the timing belt and auxiliary units flies, but the valves do not bend here.