The 2.0-liter Toyota 1CD-FTV or 2.0 D4D engine was produced by the concern from 1999 to 2007 and was installed on popular middle-class models mainly for the European market. This power unit was equipped with fuel equipment only manufactured by Denso.
This power unit became the concern’s first diesel engine equipped with a Common Rail system, and the well-known Japanese company Denso was the supplier of fuel equipment. There are two versions of this engine: with a conventional turbocharger – with a capacity of 90 hp and 215 Nm, as well as with a variable geometry turbine and an intercooler – with a capacity of 110 – 116 hp and 250 – 280 Nm.
4-cylinder, in-line cast iron block, as always, without repair dimensions. The cylinder head is aluminum, 16-valve, without hydraulic compensators, the thermal clearances of the valves here are regulated by the selection of shims. And the timing drive is carried out by a belt with a hydraulic tensioner.
The engine was installed on:
- Toyota Avensis 1 (T220) in 1999 – 2003; Avensis 2 (T250) in 2003 – 2006;
- Toyota Avensis Verso 1 (XM20) in 2001 – 2006;
- Toyota Corolla 8 (E110) in 2000 – 2002; Corolla 9 (E120) in 2001 – 2007;
- Toyota Corolla Verso 1 (E120) in 2001 – 2006;
- Toyota RAV4 2 (XA20) in 2000 – 2006;
- Toyota Previa 2 (XR30) in 2001 – 2006.
|Fuel system||Common Rail|
|Power output, hp||90 – 116|
|Torque output, Nm||215 – 280|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||82.2|
|Piston stroke, mm||94|
|Compression ratio||17.8 – 18.6|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.7|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Toyota Avensis 2002)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the 1CD-FTV engine
- The main malfunctions in fuel equipment are associated with injectors, they quickly wear out from abrasive wear due to impurities in diesel fuel.
- Two special SCV valves are responsible for adjusting the fuel supply to the high-pressure fuel pump, which are prone to leaks over time. First, the idle speed starts to float, and then the engine stalls or refuses to start.
- The most famous weak point of the power unit is the oil pressure sensor. At some point, the ECU suddenly starts signaling a low level of lubrication, although in fact this is not true. Only replacement helps to radically solve the problem.
- The EGR valve at high mileage very often clogs and freezes in one position. At first, this is expressed in a drop in power, but then the engine goes into emergency mode.
- An unreliable water pump is found on many Toyota units, and this diesel engine is certainly no exception. It can even leak on runs of 50 – 60 thousand kilometers.