The 2.0-liter Subaru EJ20 gasoline engine was produced by the concern from 1989 to 2015 and was installed on the company’s most popular models. The engine was often refined and therefore there are several modifications of it that differ quite seriously:
- EJ20E was produced by the concern from 1989 to 2011 and was installed on the Impreza and Legacy in several generations. The motor existed in versions for the European and Japanese markets with different compression ratios.
- EJ201 was produced from 1998 to 2005 and was installed on the Impreza, Legacy and Forester. This power unit existed in two degrees of forcing: 125 or 135 hp.
- EJ202 was produced from 1998 to 2009 and installed on Legacy and Forester. This motor was seriously upgraded in 2003 and received a lightweight cylinder block.
- EJ203 was produced from 2002 to 2009 and was installed only on the second generation Forester and the fourth Legacy. This unit differed from its predecessors by the presence of an electronic throttle.
- EJ204 was produced from 1999 to 2015 and was installed on the Impreza, Legacy and Forester. The power unit in most versions was equipped with a proprietary AVCS phase control system.
There are also several turbo modifications of this motor, united in the EJ20T series.
|Power output, hp||115 (European EJ20E)
125 – 155 (Japanese EJ20E)
125 – 135 (EJ201)
130 – 140 (EJ202)
150 – 190 (EJ204)
|Torque output, Nm||165 (European EJ20E)
175 – 195 (Japanese EJ20E)
180 – 185 (EJ201)
180 – 190 (EJ202)
180 – 200 (EJ204)
|Cylinder block||aluminum H4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||92|
|Piston stroke, mm||75|
|Compression ratio||9.5 (European EJ20E)
10 (Japanese EJ20E)
9.7 – 10.1 (EJ201)
|Features||SOHC (EJ20E, EJ201, EJ202, EJ203)
|Hydraulic lifters||until 1994 (EJ20E)
no (EJ201, EJ202, EJ203, EJ204)
|Phase regulator||no (except EJ204)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.0|
|Fuel type||92 (European EJ20E)
95 (Japanese EJ20E, EJ201, EJ202, EJ203, EJ204)
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Subaru Legacy 1997)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
|Weight, kg||110 (except EJ204)
Disadvantages of the EJ20 engine
- The most famous problem of engines of this family is high oil consumption.;
- Oil here is consumed not only for waste, but also oozes from gaskets and seals;
- A drop in the level of lubrication in the system here often turns into a rotation of the liners;
- Also, these motors are afraid of overheating, and the cooling system does not shine with reliability;
- Due to glitches of the electronic throttle (for the corresponding modifications), the engine speed often floats;
- After 200,000 km, a knock often appears in the 4th cylinder and an overhaul is required.