The Opel Z22YH engine is a powerful engine that can withstand heavy loads. It was released as a replacement for the Z22SE motor, which the company considered obsolete. However, the predecessor is still used, which cannot be said about the Z22YH.
The Opel Z22YH 2.2 engine began to be produced in 2002 based on the Z22SE. The base version hasn’t improved much, but some changes have been made. Including:
- there is a new crankshaft and new pistons;
- Compression ratio increased from 9.5 to 12;
- there is an improved direct injection cylinder head;
- the timing chain has been used.
Otherwise, there were almost no changes. All sizes and functions have been completely preserved. The motor was produced for a short period of time – in 2008 its release and official use ceased.
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power, hp||150 – 155|
|Torque output, Nm||215 – 220|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Cylinder head||aluminum 16v|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||94.6|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86|
|Euro standards||Euro 4|
|Timing drive||two chains|
|Recommended engine oil||5.0 liters 5W-30, 5W-40|
|Fuel type||gasoline 95 Octane|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Opel Vectra C)
|Engine lifespan, km||250 000|
Pros and cons of the engine
Opel Z22YH advantages
- Reliable powerful motor, withstands heavy loads.
- Easy to repair.
- Sufficiently low fuel consumption for such indicators.
- Direct injection contributes to fuel economy.
Disadvantages of the Opel Z22YH
- If the oil is incorrectly selected (or poor-quality), the timing chain will have to be changed several times more often.
- In the first models (since 2002) there is an error in the tensioner design, due to which the timing chain breaks more often.
- There are almost no spare parts, you need to look for auto dismantlers.
- New ones are no longer being produced, overhaul can cost a pretty penny.
- Care must be taken when choosing fuel and oil, otherwise repairs will be expensive.
Breakdown of the high-pressure fuel pump: it fails not only due to low-quality fuel, but also due to refueling with gasoline with detergents. Signs of a breakdown of the fuel pump are obvious: the engine does not develop more than 3000 rpm, the power drops, the Check Engine lights up. A breakdown is precisely diagnosed by checking the pressure in the fuel rail. On the one hand, direct petrol injection provides excellent throttle response and fuel efficiency, but on the other hand, it can be very upsetting with sudden death.
Timing chain and balancer shaft. The chain on the Z22YH motor breaks with all the ensuing serious consequences. But the gap occurs when the mandatory interval of its replacement is missed: the manufacturer recommends changing the chain every 150,000 km. If this is not done, wear of all timing gears will begin, and only then you can wait for the chain to break. The worn timing chain on the Z22YH engine emits extraneous sounds: on a cold one you can hear strong diesel even under the hood. Diesel stops as the engine warms up. The motor can still be saved if you buy a new chain and the entire timing set, including the balance shaft.
The air dampers of the Z22YH motor are wedged in a certain position. Signs – increased fuel consumption, slow response to the accelerator. When the engine is warmed up with the climate off, the instantaneous flow rate is 0.5-0.9 l / h (this range is determined by the existence of additional consumers that cannot be turned off manually).