The 2.2-liter Alfa Romeo 939A5000 or 159 2.2 JTS engine was produced from 2005 to 2010 and was installed on a number of well-known models of the concern such as 159, Brera and the similar Spider. In fact, this power unit was a modification of the Opel Z22YH motor with phase regulators.
The JTS-engine series includes: 937A1000.
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||185|
|Torque output, Nm||230|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86|
|Piston stroke, mm||94.6|
|Phase regulator||on both shafts|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.4|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Alfa Romeo 159 2008)
|Engine lifespan, km||~220 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Alfa Romeo 159 (Type 939) in 2005 – 2009;
- Alfa Romeo Brera I (Type 939) in 2005 – 2009;
- Alfa Romeo Spider VI (Type 939) in 2006 – 2010.
Disadvantages of the Alfa Romeo 939A5000 engine
- First of all, this motor suffers from accelerated carbon deposits on the valves;
- The injection pump does not last long, if it fails, the engine does not spin above 3000 rpm;
- The timing chain and especially its tensioner are distinguished by a rather modest resource;
- When replacing, do not forget about a separate chain for the water pump and balancer shaft;
- A lot of trouble delivers the crankcase ventilation system and it is better to clean it more often.