The 1.8-liter Opel X18XE1 engine was produced from 1998 to 2000 at a Hungarian plant and was installed on the most popular concern models of its time, such as Astra, Vectra, Zafira. This power unit was not related to the X18XE, but was a modification of the X16XEL motor.
The engine was installed on:
- Opel Astra G (T98) in 1998 – 2000;
- Opel Vectra B (J96) in 1999 – 2000;
- Opel Zafira A (T98) in 1999 – 2000.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||116|
|Torque output, Nm||170|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||80.5|
|Piston stroke, mm||88.2|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.25|
|Euro standards||EURO 2|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Opel Astra 2000)
|Engine lifespan, km||~320 000|
Disadvantages of the X18XE1 engine
- Many engine problems are related to ECU glitches, it’s easier to buy another than to repair;
- In second place are floating engine speeds and the reason is usually throttle contamination;
- Sometimes the unstable operation of this unit is associated with a clogged EGR valve;
- The timing belt does not last long, change it every 60,000 km or if it breaks, the valves will bend.