The Z12XEP engine is a 1.2-liter, 4-stroke naturally aspirated petrol engine of the second generation Ecotec Family 0, developed by Opel (then a subsidiary of GM). The engine has been produced since 2002.
The Opel Z12XEP engine uses a lightweight cast iron cylinder block with a cast iron crankshaft and an aluminum overhead camshaft head with 2 chain drives (DOHC) and 4 valves per cylinder (16 valves in total). This is an updated version of the Z12XE engine equipped with Twinport technology. The crankshaft and oil galleries have also been redesigned. The engine uses ECU Bosch ME7.6.1 / Bosch ME7.6.2.
|Manufacturer||Aspern engine plant|
|Cylinder block alloy||cast iron|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Number of valves||16|
|Piston stroke, mm||72.6|
|Cylinder bore, mm||73.4|
|Power output, hp||80/5600|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||110/4000|
|Euro standards||Euro 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Opel Corsa C)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 600|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.5|
|Oil change interval, km||15000|
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C||90-95|
|Engine lifespan, km
— official information
Explanation of Z12XEP marking
- Z – Euro 4 engine;
- 12 – 1.2 liters;
- X – Compression ratio from 10 to 11.5: 1;
- E – multi-point fuel injection system;
- P – increased power.
- most of the calls to the service are due to electrical failures or an ECU block;
- in second place are the problems with the Twinport dampers and the EGR valve;
- chain resource rarely exceeds 100,000 km, then it stretches and begins to rattle;
- also periodically the owners have to replace the thermostat and the oil pump;
- when looking for the source of an oil leak, start with the oil pressure sensor, the weak point is there.