The BMW M44B19 engine is a 4-cylinder engine that replaced the M42 engine and was produced from 1996 to 2001 at the Steyr plant. This power unit has taken a leading position in the BMW four-cylinder engine program and compared to the M42, many design changes have been made on the M44 both in the engine itself, in the control system and in the outlet system.
|Cylinder block alloy||cast iron|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||83.5|
|Cylinder bore, mm||85|
|Power output, hp||140/6000|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||180/4300|
|Euro standards||Euro 3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for 318is E36)
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 1000|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-30 / 0W-40 / 5W-30 / 5W-40 / 10W-40 / 15W-50|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.0|
|Oil change interval, km||7000-10000|
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C||90-95|
|Engine lifespan, km
— official information
- Knocking in the motor. The main flaw of the M44 with such a characteristic problem is hidden in a worn camshaft or hydraulic lifters and rocker arms.
- Fluctuation of the number of revolutions. It is necessary to diagnose the DMRV air duct for cracks and depressurization. You also need to check the DMRV itself, KXX, throttle and lambda probe. In addition to all this, the problem may be hidden in the deterioration of the camshaft rotation.
- Loss of power during acceleration. The reason is clogged nozzles. They need to be cleaned.
- Increase in operating temperature. First of all, you need to check the radiator, thermostat, pump, cooling system and its plastic pipes for air congestion.
- No ignition. Take a look at the fuel pump, ignition coil, overvoltage conductors and spark plugs.
It must be remembered that the timing belts on the M44 are not very reliable. In addition, the age of the unit is already decent. Although the motor itself is quite stable and has a resource of 300 thousand km or more. However, today there is not a single copy that would not have reached this mark, and therefore, alas, there will be no absolutely problem-free operation.