The D9A is an electronically optimized fuel-optimized turbo engine. Thanks to these parameters, the motors are highly efficient and economical. Engines of this family reach the highest power at low rpm, which helps to save consumables, reduce noise levels and longevity of the mechanism.
The D9A380 has the same basic principle as the larger D12D. It features an overhead camshaft, 4 valves per cylinder, individual unit injectors and a full cylinder head cover. The turbocharger is equipped with a relief valve that allows high discharge and power take-off pressures. Engine operation is controlled entirely by Volvo’s electronic engine management system, which contributes to low fuel consumption and low emissions. The system also offers extensive diagnostic and troubleshooting capabilities. Very efficient combustion is achieved thanks to the high pressure generated by the turbocharger and the high compression ratio of the engine, combined with very precise and well-controlled injection via unit injectors.
|Power output, kW at rpm||279 at 1900|
|Power output, hp at rpm||380 at 1900|
|Number of cylinders||6|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||1700 at 1200-1400|
|Cylinder bore, mm||120|
|Piston stroke, mm||138|
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Turbine||turbo / charge air cooler|
|Euro standards||Euro 3|
|Timing mechanism||spur gear|
The D9A380 has the following features:
- Electronic engine management EMS with precise fuel injection for low fuel consumption and low exhaust emissions;
- electronic control of fuel injection via unit injectors in the center vertical position;
- electronic oil level sensor with signal output to the graphic display of driver information;
- maximum torque over a wide range of crankshaft speeds ensures good driving performance and low fuel consumption;
- great braking effect with VEB retarder;
- engine driven rear power take-off for direct drive of a hydraulic pump or through a flange.