The 4.0-liter Volkswagen BDN or Passat W8 4.0 engine was produced from 2001 to 2004 and was installed only on the maximum version of the restyled Passat B5 4.0 W8 4motion. On this model, there is another modification of this power unit under the BDP index.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||275|
|Torque output, Nm||370|
|Cylinder block||aluminum W8|
|Block head||aluminum 32v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||84|
|Piston stroke, mm||90.2|
|Phase regulator||on the intake and exhaust|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||8.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for VW Passat 2002)
|Engine lifespan, km||~240 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Volkswagen Passat B5 (3B) in 2001 – 2004.
Disadvantages of the VW BDN engine
- You need to carefully monitor the cooling system, as the motor is afraid of overheating;
- Due to frequent overheating and bad oil, scuffing quickly forms in the cylinders;
- In the lifted cylinders, oil waste begins, which is fraught with the rotation of the liners;
- About 200,000 km of run require the attention of the timing chain and you will have to remove the unit;
- The weak points of the engine also include ignition coils, pump, wiring between the computer.