The 2.0-liter Saab B204i engine was produced at the concern’s enterprise from 1994 to 2000 and was installed on almost all the company’s models of its time, such as the 900, 9000 and 9-3. This is a simple atmospheric engine for basic modifications of the already listed cars.
2.0-liter H-series engines: B204E, B204i, B204L, B205E.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||130|
|Torque output, Nm||177|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||90|
|Piston stroke, mm||78|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Saab 900 1996)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Saab 900 II (NG) in 1994 – 1998;
- Saab 9000 I in 1994 – 1996;
- Saab 9-3 I (YS3D) in 1998 – 2000.
Disadvantages of the Saab B204i engine
- This is a reliable naturally aspirated engine and breakdowns happen at high mileage;
- The main problems are associated with balance shafts, often simply remove them;
- After 200,000 km, the timing chain is often extended, it rattles but does not jump;
- A lot of trouble deliver hoses and pipes that fall apart over time;
- The weak points of the engine also include the oil pump, short-lived wiring and the mass air flow sensor.