The 2.4-liter Hyundai G4KC gasoline engine was produced by the company from 2004 to 2010 and was installed on the Sonata and Magentis sedans, as well as the American version of the Carens compact van. Such a unit differs from its 2.0-liter counterpart in the presence of a block of balancing shafts.
In 2004, as part of the Global Engine Alliance, a series of engines of a single design was created: they have an aluminum cylinder block with cast-iron liners and an open cooling jacket, an aluminum 16-valve head not equipped with hydraulic lifters, a timing chain drive and a proprietary CVVT type variable valve timing system on intake camshaft. The 2.4 liter engine was called Hyundai-Kia G4KC, Mitsubishi 4B12 or Chrysler ED3.
The main difference between the 2.4-liter power unit and the 2.0-liter counterpart in the Theta I series was the presence of balance shafts, which are here combined into a single unit with an oil pump.
The engine was installed on:
- Hyundai Grandeur 4 (TG) in 2005 – 2009;
- Hyundai Sonata 5 (NF) in 2004 – 2008;
- Kia Carens 3 (UN) in 2006 – 2010;
- Kia Magentis 2 (MG) in 2005 – 2008.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||160 – 165|
|Torque output, Nm||219 – 226|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||88|
|Piston stroke, mm||97|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30, 5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||5.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Hyundai Sonata 2006)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
Disadvantages of the Hyundai G4KC engine
- To reduce vibrations, the motor was equipped with a block of balance shafts and an oil pump, in which the liners wear out quickly, and the pressure reducing valve clogs with chips. A drop in lubrication pressure often results in cranking of the liners and an engine wedge.
- Scuffing due to the ingress of catalyst crumbs into the cylinders of these engines is rare, the main reason for oil consumption is wear, as well as the ellipse of weak cast iron liners. The rigidity of the aluminum cylinder block with an open cooling jacket is low.
- The timing chain here is designed for the entire life of the engine, but for very active drivers it stretches up to 100,000 km, which leads to its jump and bending of the valves. The phase regulator is not very large resource and they are often replaced together.
- The weak points of this power unit also include weak gaskets and oil seals. Most often, the lubricant here climbs from under the valve cover or through the crankshaft oil seals.