The new Ford diesel engine in North America is already being used in the Ford Ranger truck sold in global markets (3.2 Duratorq TDCi 200). The new Power Stroke Diesel will be the only five-cylinder diesel engine available in North America.
Although the North American power rating has not been certified, the new diesel engine in Europe is rated at 197 hp. and a torque of 470 Nm.
The 3.2-liter turbodiesel is equipped with piezoelectric fuel injectors that are fed through a Common Rail fuel system with a maximum fuel pressure of 1800 bar (26,100 psi).
Accurate injection timing and calibration also ensure a smooth combustion process to reduce solid diesel combustion noise, resulting in lower noise levels that are more like a gasoline engine. Each nozzle has eight spray holes and can produce up to five injections per combustion cycle. The pilot injection controls the noise level and the main injection is used to generate electricity.
|Also called||Duratorq 3.2|
|Cylinder block alloy||cast iron|
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Number of cylinders||5|
|Piston stroke, mm||94,6|
|Cylinder bore, mm||100,76|
|Power output, hp||200 / 3500|
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||470 / 2000-2500|
|Euro standards||Euro 5|
|Engine lifespan, thousand km
— official information
Features of the new Power Stroke 3.2:
The 3.2-liter Power Stroke engine is a five-cylinder engine that debuted in the American Transit for the 2015 model year. The engine is a modified version of the 3.2L Ford Duratorq diesel engine that has been tailored for emissions in the United States.
- Quick start glow plugs that provide smooth starts down to -25 ° F (-4 ° C);
- Robust, rigid cast iron cylinder block;
- Aluminum cylinder heads with double overhead cams and four valves per cylinder;
- Advanced Piezoelectric Common Rail Fuel Injectors that provide multiple injections per stroke to improve performance and reduce NVH;
- Variable nozzle electronically controlled turbocharger; maximum impeller speed 197 800 rpm;
- First application of selective catalytic reduction to reduce NOx emissions in a Ford van;
- Integrated Diesel Oxidation Catalyst and Diesel Particulate Filter to save space;
- Expected to be compatible with B20 biodiesel.
In addition, the engine is equipped with low friction coated cast aluminum pistons and piston cooling nozzles that inject oil from the underside of the pistons to keep the piston crowns cool under extreme operating conditions. Also included is a highly efficient water-cooled EGR valve that better withstands coolant pressure drops.