Industrial CAT C18 engine manufactured by Caterpillar (USA) – 6-cylinder, in-line, 4-stroke, direct fuel injection, turbocharged with air-to-air aftercooling system, electronic control unit (ADEM ™ A4), MEUI fuel system.
Engine power Caterpillar C18 – 700-1130 HP at a crankshaft rotation speed of 1500 rpm. The engine meets Tier 3 (US EPA) and Stage IIIA (European Union requirements) emission standards using Advanced Combustion Emissions Reduction Technology (ACERT). It covers 4 systems to reduce the toxicity of exhaust gases and covers:
- fuel system;
- fuel combustion process;
- clean air intake system;
- implementation of an electronic control and management system.
Power characteristics depend on engine modification:
- Caterpillar C18 ATAAC — 535 kW or 727 hp;
- Caterpillar C18 — 597 kW or 812 hp;
- Caterpillar C18 ATAAC2 — 775 kW or 1054 hp;
- Caterpillar C18 ATAAC3 — 831 kW or 1130 hp
|Number of cylinders||6|
|Cylinder bore, mm||145|
|Piston stroke, mm||183|
|Fuel pump||low pressure|
— rough cleaning
— fine cleaning
top quality, 2 microns
|Turbine||turbocharging with air-to-air cooling system|
|Oil filters||full-flow, with replaceable filter element|
|Cooling system||two-circuit system, with an additional circuit for cooling the charge air|
|Water pump||centrifugal water pump, water pump inlet|
|Cooling system volume, liters||21,9|
|Dimensions, mm (LxWxH)||1388,2х920,7х1242,8|
|Weight, kg||1565 (dry weight)|
Advantages of the Caterpillar C18 ACERT diesel engine
- Narrow rings fitted to the Monotherm piston and tighter manufacturing tolerances ensure superior assembly performance.
- Lower fuel consumption results in lower operating costs and lower emissions.
- The MEUI fuel system is highly reliable due to its special design.
- Redesigned cranks are stronger and more secure.
Caterpillar® C-18 automotive engines are designed for normal operation on road vehicles up to 65 tonnes. To obtain a balanced vehicle performance and fuel consumption for the C-18 engine, select axle and tire specifications such that the following condition is met:
- 1450 – 1550 min-1 at a speed of 90 km / h.
When at least one of the following conditions is present, extra care should be taken when selecting the proper transmission and axle characteristics:
- Poor road surface;
- Elevation angles – 8% or more;
- Gross vehicle weight exceeds 65 tons.
1 thought on “Engine Caterpillar C18”
Is it possible to convert a Caterpillar C18 twin turbo of 700 hp @ 1800 rpm to 630 hp @ 2100 single turbo?