M43B16 engine – a 1.6-liter BMW engine of the M43 family (it also included M43B18 and M43B19), which replaced the M40B16, was developed on the basis of the 1.8-liter M43B18, which introduced a crankshaft with a reduced piston stroke to 72 mm (was 81 mm ).
Compared to its predecessor, the new power unit received a lighter crankshaft, other pistons with a compression ratio increased to 9.7, as well as 145 mm connecting rods.
The cylinder head, despite the previous design with a single camshaft, has undergone major changes. The timing belt drive has given way to a reliable chain, the replacement of which is required after ~ 300 thousand km. In addition, lightweight valves and new springs, rockers of a different design were used, and valve clearance hydraulic compensators remained. The diameter of the intake valves is 42 mm, exhaust 36 mm. Camshaft characteristics M43B16: phase 244/244, rise 10.6/10 mm.
The ignition system has changed, to optimize engine performance, a DISA variable-length intake manifold is used.
|Production years||1993-2002 Steyr Plant|
|Power output, hp||102 /5500 rpm|
|Torque output, Nm||150 /3900 rpm|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||84|
|Piston stroke, mm||72|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.0|
|Euro standards||EURO 2/3|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for 316i E36)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the M43B16 engine
Among the malfunctions in the operation of the M43B16 engine, they note: noise, engine knocking, rapid oil consumption, unstable rpm, overheating.
- If oil leaks, it is necessary to check the valve cover – replace the crankcase ventilation valve and the sealed gasket.
- If you hear noise, crackling and knocking in the motor, you need to check the condition of the DISA damper. To restore functionality, they resort to a repair kit. Sometimes hydraulic lifters knock. The engine may make noise from the rocker arms and camshaft.
- The power unit is also characterized by unstable rpm, jolts during acceleration, and overheating. Turnovers float when the mass air flow sensor breaks down, air leaks are possible. You also need to inspect the lambda probe, idle valve and throttle valve. Difficulty turning the camshaft sometimes causes a problem.
- Shocks or dips during acceleration are caused by dirty injectors; it is enough to clean them.
- To find out the cause of engine overheating, inspect the pump, radiator, thermostat. In some cases, a blowdown of the cooling system is required to remove air pockets. You should also check the condition of the pipes in the cooling system.
- When the engine does not start, they look for a problem in the spark plugs, the ignition coil, high-voltage wires, and the gas pump.