In the initial modification, the 4S engine had the 4S-Fi index and was equipped with a single injection. Produced from 1987 to 1990 as a replacement for the 1S-Ui. Since 1990, the engine has received the 4S-FE index, multipoint multipoint fuel injection, slightly more power and Compression ratio. In this form, it was produced until 1999.
|Also called||Toyota 4S|
|Cylinder block alloy||cast iron|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||86|
|Cylinder bore, mm||82.5|
|Power output, hp||105/5600
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||149/2800
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 1000|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30 / 10W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.2|
|Oil change interval, km||10000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C||95|
|Engine lifespan, km
— official information
- The injection pump has become unusable. The breakdown is accompanied by a leak of gasoline into the crankcase and a breakdown of the ShPG. The main signs are an increase in oil with a characteristic gasoline smell, twitching on the go, uneven work, frequent stops, speed is floating. You just need to replace the injection pump.
- Stuck EGR valve system – outlet gas recirculation. The reason is the formation of tar due to poor fuel. Symptoms are interruptions in speed, interruptions in the rhythm of the unit. The valve should be periodically cleaned or muted.
- rpm is lost, the engine stalls. Idle problems are treated by flushing the throttle valve module. You also need to clean the intake manifold. The air filter or fuel pump may have broken.
- Gasoline burn (sometimes severe). It is necessary to adjust the ignition, clean the nozzles, idle valve and BDZ.
- Vibration. Malfunctions are caused by loosening of the aggregate pad or stopping of one of the cylinders.
- Motor overheating. The radiator cap is to blame and should be replaced.
With proper care, the 4S is a fully functional and even high-spirited unit. The resource easily exceeds 300 thousand km.