The 2.5-liter V6 Toyota 4GR-FSE engine was produced at the Japanese plant from 2003 to 2020 and was installed in many models with rear- and all-wheel drive, such as the Crown and Mark X. However, this power unit is best known for the Lexus IS250 sedans, and also GS250.
In 2003, the GR V6 line of engines was replenished with a new 2.5-liter power unit. This is a classic V-6 with an aluminum block and a 60° camber angle, two DOHC cylinder heads with hydraulic lifters, D-4 direct fuel injection, VVT-i phase shifters on all camshafts and piston cooling oil jets, an intake manifold with change flaps geometry type ACIS and timing chain drive.
The engine was installed on:
- Toyota Crown 12 (S180) in 2003 – 2008; Crown 13 (S200) in 2008 – 2012; Crown 14 (S210) in 2012 – 2018;
- Toyota Mark X 1 (X120) in 2004 – 2009; Mark X 2 (X130) in 2009 – 2019;
- Lexus IS250 2 (XE20) in 2005 – 2013; IS250 3 (XE30) in 2013 – 2015;
- Lexus IS250C 2 (XE20) in 2008 – 2013;
- Lexus GS250 4 (L10) in 2011 – 2015.
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||205 – 215|
|Torque output, Nm||243 – 260|
|Cylinder block||aluminum V6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||77|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-20, 5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 4/5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Lexus IS250 2011)
|Engine lifespan, km||~400 000|
Disadvantages of the 4GR-FSE engine
- A well-known problem with FSE units from the GR family is scuffing in the fifth cylinder. There are two different theories: local overheating due to a design defect or seepage of abrasive directly into the combustion chambers through a slot in the air filter is to blame.
- Engines from 2005 to 2008 were subject to a recall campaign to replace defective valve springs, which could simply burst due to impurities in the metal.
- The proprietary problem of the GR series units is the crackling of the phase regulators at startup. Sometimes you can get by with changing sprockets, but usually you have to buy new clutches.
- The weaknesses of the engine include short-lived AFS mixture sensors, lambda probes, ignition coils and a pump. Also, engine speed often floats here due to soot on the valves. On the units of the first years, there was corrosion of the fuel pipes and leaks at the joints of the cylinder head.