The 2.0-liter Opel C20XE engine was produced from 1987 to 1996 at a German plant and was installed on charged versions of such popular models as Astra, Vectra, Calibra. The power unit was seriously upgraded in 1993, so there are two versions of it.
The engine was installed on:
- Opel Astra F (T92) in 1991 – 1996;
- Opel Calibra A (C89) in 1989 – 1994;
- Opel Kadett E (T85) in 1988 – 1991;
- Opel Vectra A (J89) in 1988 – 1994.
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||150|
|Torque output, Nm||200|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86|
|Piston stroke, mm||86|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 1|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Opel Vectra 1993)
|Engine lifespan, km||~300 000|
Disadvantages of the C20XE engine
- The most famous weak point of this motor is the cylinder head, it often cracks;
- When replacing, it is recommended to purchase a more reliable cylinder head manufactured by Cosworth;
- Monitor the condition of the timing belt, it can break up to 50,000 km and the valves will bend;
- Before the 1993 update, an unreliable ignition system caused a lot of problems;
- Hydraulic lifters do not like low-quality oil and start knocking at 90,000 km.