The 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder Mercedes OM606 engine was assembled from 1993 to 2001 and installed on such popular models as the E-Class, S-Class and Gelendvagen SUV. This power unit was offered in two versions: 300D for 136 hp and 300TD for 177 hp.
The diesel R6-family includes: OM603, OM606, OM613, OM648, OM656.
|Power output, hp||136 (OM 606 D 30 or 300D)
177 (OM 606 D 30 LA or 300TD)
|Torque output, Nm||210 (OM 606 D 30 or 300D)
330 (OM 606 D 30 LA or 300TD)
|Cylinder block||cast iron R6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||87|
|Piston stroke, mm||84|
|Turbocharging||no (OM 606 D 30 or 300D)
yes (OM 606 D 30 LA or 300TD)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-40|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||7.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 1|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Mercedes E 300 TD 1997)
|Engine lifespan, km||~500 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Mercedes E-Class W124 in 1993 – 1996; E-Class W210 in 1995 – 1999;
- Mercedes G-Class W463 in 1997 – 2001;
- Mercedes S-Class W140 in 1996 – 1998.
Disadvantages of the OM606 engine
- The vibration load of this diesel engine affects the resource of its supports;
- The timing chain can stretch already to a run of 150 – 200 thousand km, which is dangerous for the engine;
- The power unit is afraid of overheating, it bends from it, and sometimes even the cylinder head bursts;
- High pressure fuel pump is sensitive to air leakage, which is facilitated by quick couplings;
- From low-quality oil, hydraulic lifters can knock to a run of 100,000 km.
4 thoughts on “Engine Mercedes OM606”
Engine swap from w210 300td to w140 300td.
W140 300td ran without oil due to leak and stuck in motion so can i get the same 300td engine from w210 it says identical . What would be different!? Will there be problems with installation, bushings, pipes for burnt gas, etc.
Excellent site, very useful information!
Can you advise the NOx value for the normally aspirated OM606 engine fitted to my 1995 E300D please?
Sorry, there is no such information. We only know that the engine complies with Euro-1.
Boa tarde, tenho um mercedes w463 350TD de 1993 que adaptei um motor om 606 de 177 cv com a caixa automatica existente no carro e tornou-se inguiavel em virtude de não desenvolver, parece andar 100 metros e já ir em 3ª. Estou farto de gaster dinheiro e não encontro solução. Alguem me poderá dar uma dica do que fazer.
Good afternoon, I have a 1993 mercedes w463 350TD that I adapted a 177 hp om 606 engine with the automatic box in the car and it became unmanageable due to not developing, it seems to go 100 meters and already go in 3rd. I’m tired of wasting money and I can’t find a solution. Can anyone give me a hint what to do.