The 6.0-liter 12-cylinder Audi BHT A8 W12 engine was produced from 2003 to 2010 and was installed on expensive trim levels of the A8 sedan in the back of the D3, including the extended version of the A8L. Other modifications of this motor under the BTE and BSB indices were also installed on this model.
EA398 or Audi W8/W12 engines
A series of multi-cylinder W-shaped engines Audi EA398 was introduced in 2001 and has since been installed on the most expensive models of the German concern, including Bentley cars. In addition to the rather massive W8 or W12 engines, there is an 8.0-liter W16 Bugatti Veyron engine.
W12 EA398 series engines
In early 2001, a 6.0-liter W12 engine debuted on the Audi A8 model in the D2 body, which was essentially a pair of VR6 power units on one crankshaft. By design, there is an aluminum block, two 24-valve cylinder heads with hydraulic compensators, a very complex timing drive, consisting of three chains and a phase control system on all shafts.
There were nine engines in the first line, which did not differ very much from each other:
- AZC (distributed injection, 420 hp / 550 Nm) for Audi A8 D2 (4D);
- BHT (distributed injection, 450 hp / 580 Nm) for Audi A8 D3 (4E);
- BTE (distributed injection, 450 hp / 580 Nm) for Audi A8 D3 (4E);
- BSB (distributed injection, 450 hp / 580 Nm) for AUDI A8 D3 (4E);
- BAN (distributed injection, 420 hp / 550 Nm) for VW Phaeton 1 (3D);
- BRN (distributed injection, 450 hp / 560 Nm) for VW Phaeton 1 (3D);
- BTT (distributed injection, 450 hp / 560 Nm) for VW Phaeton 1 (3D);
- BJN (distributed injection, 450 hp / 600 Nm) for VW Touareg 1 (7L);
- CFRA (distributed injection, 450 hp / 600 Nm) for VW Touareg 1 (7L).
There were also a couple of modifications to the turbocharged W12 units for Bentley models.
In 2010, an updated power unit of the W12 type appeared on the Audi A8 model in the back of the D4. The main difference between the new engine and its predecessor was the FSI direct injection system. Thanks to larger pistons, the working volume increased to 6.3 liters, and the power to 500 hp.
In the second line, there were only two power units and they were installed only on the Audi A8 in the back of the D4:
- CEJA (direct injection, 500 hp / 625 Nm) for Audi A8 D4 (4H);
- CTNA (direct injection, 500 hp / 625 Nm) for Audi A8 D4 (4H).
There is a modification of the 6.0-liter FSI turbocharged W12 engine for the Bentley Bentayga.
W8 EA398 series engines
In 2001, the 4.0-liter W8 unit debuted on the restyled version of the fifth Passat, which was a simplified modification of the 6.0-liter W12 engine already described above. The design of the 8-cylinder engine repeats the 12-cylinder one with the only difference in the form of a block of two balancer shafts with its own belt drive from the engine crankshaft.
There were only a couple of power units in this line, and both were installed only on the Passat B5:
- BDN (distributed injection, 275 hp / 370 Nm) for VW Passat B5 (3B);
- BDP (distributed injection, 275 hp / 370 Nm) for VW Passat B5 (3B).
The 6.0-liter Volkswagen BRN or Phaeton W12 6.0 engine was produced from 2005 to 2011 and was installed only on the maximum configuration of the Phaeton sedan in an extended version. Other modifications of this power unit with the BAN or BTT index were also installed on this model.
The company produced the 6.3-liter Audi CEJA or A8 W12 6.3 FSI engine from 2010 to 2013 and installed it only on the maximum versions of the A8L quattro sedan in the D4 body before restyling. After restyling the model, this unit gave way to an updated motor with the CTNA index.
The 4.0-liter Volkswagen BDN or Passat W8 4.0 engine was produced from 2001 to 2004 and was installed only on the maximum version of the restyled Passat B5 4.0 W8 4motion. On this model, there is another modification of this power unit under the BDP index.