The 1.9-liter VW 1Z 1.9 TDI diesel engine was produced by the concern from 1991 to 1997 and was installed in many cars of the German company, but is better known for the Passat B4 model. After a slight upgrade, this power unit received a completely different AHU index.
EA180 or VW 1.7/1.9 engines
The Volkswagen EA180 1.9 TDI diesel engine family was produced from 1991 to 2006 and was installed on almost the entire very extensive model range of the German concern. In addition to 1.9-liter turbo engines, the lineup included atmospheric diesel engines of 1.7 and 1.9 liters.
Diesel engines EA180 1.9 TDI
In 1991, the units of the EA 180 family debuted on the fourth generation of the Audi 80 model, which differed from the EA086 predecessors by the presence of a direct fuel injection system. In addition to the Bosch VP37 electronically controlled high-pressure fuel pump, a flow meter appeared in these engines, and on the most powerful versions there is also a modern variable geometry turbocharger.
Otherwise, they were the same engines with a cast-iron block, an 8-valve aluminum cylinder head and an intermediate shaft that was common for this time, which rotated the oil and vacuum pump.
We know ten modifications of this power unit, we will list all of them in a single list:
- 1Z (90 hp / 202 Nm) for Audi 80 B4 (8C), VW Passat B4 (3A);
- AFN (110 hp / 232 Nm) for Audi A4 B5 (8D), VW Passat B5 (3B);
- AGR (90 hp / 210 Nm) for Audi A3 1 (8L), VW Golf 4 (1J);
- AHH (90 hp / 210 Nm) for Audi A4 B5 (8D), VW Passat B5 (3B);
- AHF (110 hp / 235 Nm) for Audi A3 1 (8L), VW Golf 4 (1J);
- AHU (90 hp / 202 Nm) for Audi A4 B5 (8D), VW Passat B5 (3B);
- ALE (90 hp / 210 Nm) for VW Golf 3 (1H), VW Polo 3 (6N);
- ALH (90 hp / 210 Nm) for Audi A3 1 (8L), VW Golf 4 (1J);
- ASV (110 hp / 235 Nm) for Audi A3 1 (8L), VW Golf 4 (1J);
- AVG (110 hp / 235 Nm) for Audi A4 B5 (8D), VW Passat B5 (3B).
Diesel engines EA180 1.7 and 1.9 SDI
In 1995, the family of power units was replenished with a whole galaxy of atmospheric diesel engines, which were distinguished by the absence of a flow meter, intercooler, turbine and its sensor valves. This naturally affected their reliability, since there was practically nothing to break in them.
In addition to 1.9-liter engines, this line included several 1.7-liter diesel engines:
- AHB (57 hp / 112 Nm) for VW Caddy 2 (9K);
- AHG (57 hp / 112 Nm) for VW Polo 3 (6N);
- AKU (60 hp / 115 Nm) for VW Polo 3 (6N);
- AEY (64 hp / 125 Nm) for VW Golf 3 (1H);
- AFF (75 hp / 150 Nm) for Audi A4 B5 (8D);
- AGD (64 hp / 124 Nm) for VW Polo 3 (6N);
- AGP (68 hp / 133 Nm) for VW Polo 3 (6N);
- AQM (68 hp / 133 Nm) for VW Polo 3 (6N);
- ASY (64 hp / 125 Nm) for VW Polo 4 (9N);
- ASX (64 hp / 124 Nm) for VW Polo 3 (6N);
- AYQ (64 hp / 128 Nm) for VW Caddy 2 (9K).
Already from the end of the 90s, such engines were gradually replaced by EA188 diesel engines with unit-injectors, until finally in 2006 (in a number of countries in 2010) they were finally taken out of production.
The 1.9-liter VW AFN 1.9 TDI diesel engine was produced by the company from 1996 to 2000 and installed on the most popular models, and is most known for the Passat B5. In fact, such a diesel engine differs from the AHU unit by the presence of a turbine with variable geometry.
The 1.9-liter diesel engine VW AHF 1.9 TDI was produced by the company from 1997 to 2000 and was installed on such popular models of the German concern as Bora, Golf 4 and Audi A3 8L. In 2000, this engine gave way to a similar ASV diesel engine with EURO 3 support.
The 1.9-liter Volkswagen AHU 1.9 TDI diesel engine was produced from 1996 to 2001 and was installed on many popular concern cars, but is mainly known for the Passat B5. This unit is essentially a slightly updated version of the well-known diesel under the 1Z index.
The 1.9-liter Volkswagen ALH 1.9 TDI diesel engine was produced from 1997 to 2010 and was installed on many popular concern models created on the Polo 3 and Golf 4 platforms. There is a simplified modification of such a power unit with its own AGR index.
The 1.9-liter diesel engine Audi AVG 1.9 TDI was produced by the company from 1999 to 2001 and was installed on many models of the concern, but the most famous were the A4 B5 and A6 C5. This power unit is essentially a slightly improved version of a diesel engine with an AFN index.
The company assembled the 1.7-liter VW AKU or 1.7 SDI diesel engine from 1997 to 2005 and installed it in a number of compact models, such as the Polo, Lupo and the similar Seat Arosa. The 2nd generation Caddy was equipped with a similar power unit, but under the AHB index.
The 1.9-liter naturally aspirated diesel engine VW AEY 1.9 SDI was assembled from 1995 to 2000 and was installed on economical versions of popular models of the company such as Caddy, Polo, Golf. This motor was distinguished by modest power, but low fuel consumption and high reliability.