The 2.4-liter Toyota 22R-TE turbo engine was produced at a factory in Japan from 1985 to 1988 and was installed in only two models: the Hilux pickup truck in the back of the N50 and the 4Runner SUV in the back of the N60. Now this is a very rare power unit and it is almost never found.
The engine was installed on:
- Toyota 4Runner 1 (N60) in 1986 – 1988;
- Toyota Hilux 4 (N50) in 1985 – 1988.
|Power output, hp||137|
|Torque output, Nm||234|
|Cylinder block||cast iron R4|
|Block head||aluminum 8v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||92|
|Piston stroke, mm||89|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 2|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Toyota 4Runner 1987)
|Engine lifespan, km||~420 000|
Disadvantages of the 22R-TE engine
- Firstly, this is a very rare turbo engine, there will be problems with service and spare parts;
- Its second disadvantage is considered to be high fuel consumption: up to 25 liters in the city;
- Weaknesses also include the ignition system, most often the distributor fails here;
- On long runs, the timing chain is often pulled here and the turbine drives the oil;
- Since there are no hydraulic lifters, valves need to be adjusted every 100 thousand km.