The 1.3-liter Mazda 13B-MSP rotary engine or Renesis 1.3 was assembled from 2003 to 2012 and installed on all modifications of the popular RX-8 sports coupe. This power unit exists in two different generations with slight differences.
The engine was installed on:
- Mazda RX-8 (SE) in 2003 – 2012.
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||192 – 250|
|Torque output, Nm||211 – 222|
|Cylinder block||aluminum W2|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||3.6|
|Euro standards||EURO 4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Mazda RX-8 2008)
|Engine lifespan, km||~120 000|
Disadvantages of the 13B-MSP engine
- First of all, this engine is characterized by high fuel consumption, and also oil;
- Also, the unit is demanding on the quality of lubrication, or you will find rapid wear of the apexes;
- Closer to 80 – 100 thousand kilometers, eccentric shaft liners are often rented;
- Oil nozzles require regular diagnostics and rarely go more than 50,000 km;
- Once every 30,000 km it is necessary to replace the spark plugs and usually together with the ignition coils.