The 3.0-liter inline 6-cylinder Mercedes M256 engine has been assembled by the company since 2017 and installed on its most powerful and expensive models, such as the S-Class, GLS-Class or AMG GT. There is a version of the engine with one turbine and an additional electric compressor.
The R6-family includes: M103 E26, M103 E30, M104 E28, M104 E30, M104 E32, M256 E30.
|Production years||since 2017|
|Fuel system||direct injection|
|Power output, hp||367 (M 256 E30 DEH LA GR)
435 (M 256 E30 DEH LA G)
|Torque output, Nm||500 (M 256 E30 DEH LA GR)
520 (M 256 E30 DEH LA G)
|Cylinder block||aluminum R6|
|Block head||aluminum 24v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||83|
|Piston stroke, mm||92.4|
|Turbocharging||BorgWarner B03G (M 256 E30 DEH LA GR)
BorgWarner B03G + eZV (M 256 E30 DEH LA G)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||6.5|
|Euro standards||EURO 6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Mercedes-Benz GLS 450 2020)
|Engine lifespan, km||~250 000|
The engine was installed on:
- Mercedes AMG GT X290 since 2018;
- Mercedes CLS-Class C257 since 2018;
- Mercedes GLE-Class W187 since 2018;
- Mercedes GLS-Class X167 since 2019;
- Mercedes E-Class W213 since 2018; E-Class C238 since 2018;
- Mercedes S-Class W222 in 2017 – 2020; S-Class W223 since 2020.
Disadvantages of the M256 E30 engine
- So far, no design flaws have been noted on the specialized forums.
- On other engines of the modular series, there were failures of Camtronic phase regulators.
- Like all direct injection engines, this one suffers from carbon deposits on the intake valves.
- It is also worth noting the presence of a particulate filter, uncharacteristic for gasoline engines.