The 2.0-liter Hyundai G4NL or Smartstream G 2.0 MPi engine has been built only since 2019 and is installed on the latest versions of such popular models as Tucson, Sportage and Elantra. Due to the shortage of G4NA engines, this power unit was installed on the Creta 2 for some time.
In 2019, the Smartstream G lineup was replenished with a 2.0-liter engine with distributed injection. This unit differs from its predecessor G4NA in the presence of two nozzles per cylinder, an electronically controlled thermostat, a variable displacement oil pump, a lightweight piston, polymer-coated liners, a higher compression ratio and an updated variable valve timing system with increased speed.
In all other respects, this is a typical representative of the Nu series with an aluminum cylinder block, a 16-valve cylinder head with hydraulic lifters, a timing chain and a Dual CVVT phase control system.
The Nu family includes engines: G4NB, G4NA, G4NC, G4ND, G4NE, G4NH, G4NG, G4NL, G4NN.
The engine was installed on:
- Hyundai Creta 2 (SU2) since 2021;
- Hyundai Elantra 7 (CN7) since 2020;
- Hyundai Tucson 4 (NX4) since 2020;
- Kia Sportage 5 (NQ5) since 2021.
|Production years||since 2019|
|Fuel system||distributed injection|
|Power output, hp||150|
|Torque output, Nm||191|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||81|
|Piston stroke, mm||97|
|Phase regulator||Dual CVVT|
|Recommended engine oil||0W-20, 5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.8|
|Euro standards||EURO 5/6|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Hyundai Elantra 2021)
|Engine lifespan, km||~200 000|
Disadvantages of the Hyundai G4NL engine
- This power unit has just appeared and there are no statistics of malfunctions yet.
- Oil nozzles for cooling the pistons are provided here and the problem with scuffing should not be acute, but the chain has not become thicker and its resource is unlikely to have increased much.
- Potential weak points of the engine include a new electronically controlled thermostat, polymer-coated liners, and a variable displacement oil pump.