Engines of the 2AZ series appeared on Toyota cars since 2000 – they gradually replaced the legendary motors of the S series and for ten years remained the main “medium-capacity” of the company. 2AZ is a transverse engine with distributed injection for initially front-wheel drive cars, vans and SUVs.
|Manufacturer||Toyota Motor Manufacturing Kentucky, Inc.
|Also called||Toyota 2AZ|
|Cylinder block alloy||aluminum|
|Number of cylinders||4|
|Valves per cylinder||4|
|Piston stroke, mm||96|
|Cylinder bore, mm||88.5|
|Power output, hp||149/6000
|Torque output, Nm / rpm||187/4400
|Euro standards||Euro 5|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km
|Oil consumption, gr/1000 km||up to 1000|
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30 / 10W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.3|
|Oil change interval, km||10000
|Normal engine operating temperature, °C||~95||Engine lifespan, km
— official information
- The block thread of the cylinder head has been torn off. The first signs are the presence of coolant on the back of the unit, as well as overheating and distorted geometry. Despite the fact that the threads can be restored, if the cylinder block is skewed, it should only be replaced (it is better to take the version from 2007).
- Vibration during idle operation. It is a specific feature of the motor at 500-600 rpm. It can be partially eliminated by cleaning the idle valve, throttle valve, mass air flow sensor, EGR valve, injectors, as well as adjusting the pillows.
- The unit jerks. The reason is carbon deposits. It is necessary to clean the throttle valve module and the intake manifold. You should also check the lambda probe and VVTi.
- rpm float and overall power loss can occur due to carbon deposits in the EGR. The latter must be either cleaned or muffled.
- The motor is overheated. Often leads to curvature. The engine needs to be replaced.
FSE-models require high-quality fuels and lubricants in operation, otherwise injectors and high-pressure fuel pumps quickly deteriorate. With proper care, the Toyota 2AZ engine can travel more than 300 thousand km.