The 2.3-liter Honda F23A gasoline engine was produced by the company from 1997 to 2003 and was installed on such popular models of the Japanese concern as the Accord or the Odyssey minivan. They offered two different modifications of the F23A motor: with and without the VTEC phase control system.
The engine was installed on:
- Acura CL 1 (YA) in 1997 – 1999;
- Honda Accord 6 (CG) in 1997 – 2002;
- Honda Odyssey 1 (RA) in 1994 -1999;
- Honda Odyssey 1 USA (RA) in 1994 – 1998;
- Honda Odyssey 2 (RA6) in 1999 – 2003.
|Power output, hp||135 (without VTEC: F23A5)
150 (with VTEC: F23A1, F23A4, F23A7)
|Torque output, Nm||205|
|Cylinder block||aluminum R4|
|Block head||aluminum 16v|
|Cylinder bore, mm||86|
|Piston stroke, mm||97|
|Compression ratio||8.8 (without VTEC: F23A5)
9.3 (with VTEC: F23A1, F23A4, F23A7)
|Phase regulator||no (without VTEC: F23A5)
VTEC (with VTEC: F23A1, F23A4, F23A7)
|Recommended engine oil||5W-30|
|Engine oil capacity, liter||4.3|
|Euro standards||EURO 3/4|
|Fuel consumption, L/100 km (for Honda Odyssey 2000)
|Engine lifespan, km||~350 000|
Disadvantages of the Honda F23A engine
- Most often, car owners with this engine complain about oil consumption after 100,000 km.
- In second place are complaints about regular oil and coolant leaks.
- The cause of tripping and floating engine speeds is usually a dirty idle valve and EGR.
- The timing belt serves approximately 90,000 km and if you miss a replacement, it will bend the valves.
- Due to the lack of hydraulic lifters, the valves need to be adjusted every 40,000 km.
F23A Engine Repair Parts List
|Full name of the part||Part code|
|Piston without rings Honda F23A5 d86.0 STD (13010-PAB-A00) Teikin||38172 STD|
|Piston rings Honda F23A d86.0 STD 1.2–1.2–2.8 (13011-PEA-003) 4 cylinders TP||32395-STD|
|Complete gasket set||JFS-40200|
|Complete set of Honda gaskets F23A SOHC 16V 1995 (06110-PEA-000) Eristic||EF6341|
|Upper Gasket Set Honda F23A, SOHC 16V 1995 Eristic||EH6341|
|Head gasket Honda F23A SOHC 16V 1995 (12251-PAA-A010) Eristic||EG634|
|Intake manifold gasket||71-53792-00|
|Valve cap inlet Honda color code “white” (12210-P45-G01) Elring||130.560|
|Oil scraper cap||130.860|
|Valve stem seals (130.860+130.560)||084.300|
|Water pump||50 005 080|
|Spark plug DOUBLE COPPER (RC9MCC4) Champion||OE089 /T10|